Monday, December 12, 2011

What is the nickname given to an aircraft mechanic?

Hi,





Iv heard of an aircraft mechanic having a nickname of something like a "Lamey" or "Laney" but i didn't quite catch it when i heard it.


Does anyone know what it is for sure?


Also there is a different nick name given to a qualified mechanic as opposed to an unqualified aircraft mechanic, can anyone explain this?





Cheers.|||You're right, pronounced "Lamey". It's an acronym LAME Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. There is also an unlicensed engineer, AME. Australia uses these terms. I thought it was a joke when I first heard it.





The other answers are most likely coming from the US.|||I call them a Godsend when I'm AOG and they get me back in the air. That's what I should call them all the time, and do now, but in my younger days I wasn't nearly as patient as I am nowadays. BTW guys and girl, I apologize about that one night in Kansas back in '81, maybe '82 or '83, I can't remember, when you did eventually get me back in the air that one night.





These folks keep us in the air, and we all know how well sitting in the pilots lounge pays.|||LAME- Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - these are guys from down under what they call mechanics there.


LAE- licensed Aircraft Engineer - more of UK or Europe guys.|||your thinking LAME - Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.


AME - is aircraft maintenance engineer.


The difference between the 2 is mainly a LAME and sign off maintenance. Where as a AME can only perform maintenance.|||Maybe it was the guys name?





A+P mechanic is what they are usually called, short for airframe and powerplant.





pronounced A n P|||In the Air Force an aircraft mechanic responsible for a given bird is the "Crew Chief" or "Chief". The other mechanics are called Joe or Bill Or Sam or Jane or Sally etc.|||When I was in A%26amp;P school in 2000 we were called "A%26amp;P mechs." Now though, most places I know call there guys AMT's. Aviation Maint. Techs.|||Not sure what some countries refer to them as. We call them crew chiefs in the Air Force, and us avionics techs are referred to as pointy heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment